9ct Gold & 18ct Gold: What is the Difference?

9ct Gold & 18ct Gold: What is the Difference?

I got asked this question today by a customer: "I don't know much about Gold. I try to buy 14ct or 18ct. Is it just that 9ct was very common in the past? I see so many beautiful rings in 9ct gold but have been hesitant."

I thought this was a very good question and would make a good mini blog post!

So just what is the difference between 9ct and 18ct gold?

The key difference between 9ct and 18ct gold is primarily the gold content.

9ct Gold: 9ct gold contains 37.5% pure gold (often referred to as 375 gold). The remaining 62.5% consists of other metals, such as copper, silver, or zinc

18ct Gold: 18ct gold contains 75% pure gold (750 gold). The remaining 25% is made up of alloying metals, typically a combination of copper, silver, and/or palladium

The other point worth noting is the difference in color. 9ct gold is less pure and often has a slightly paler yellow color compared to 18ct gold. The other alloying metals can influence the gold's hue. 18ct gold has a richer, deeper yellow color due to its higher gold content. It tends to be more vibrant and is often preferred for its color.

Durability of the two golds is another factor worth noting. 9ct Gold contains a higher percentage of alloying metals, 9ct gold is generally more durable and resistant to scratches and wear compared to 18ct gold. 18ct gold, being softer due to its higher gold content, can be more prone to surface scratches and dings. It may require more careful handling.

Jewellery made from 9ct gold is typically more affordable than the same design in 18ct gold because of the lower gold content

The preference for 9ct gold rings often comes down to individual taste, budget, and the intended use of the jewellery. Many people love 9ct gold for its affordability and durability, making it suitable for everyday wear.

It's worth noting that all these gold types are beautiful and have their unique appeal. If you're hesitant about 9ct gold, you can rest assured that it's a reliable choice, and you'll find plenty of stunning designs in this gold alloy. Ultimately, the choice depends on what suits your style, budget, and how you plan to enjoy your jewellery.

Back to blog

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.